The birth of the Southern Baptist Mission at New Carlisle came by way of the Northridge Baptist Church of Dayton. Two local families, the Wesley Crumplers and the Chester Johnsons, members at the Northridge Church, along with their pastor, Rev. McGuffey, conceived the idea. Rev. McGuffey and a teenager, Brother Fred Hill, who was later to become mission pastor, conducted a survey of the area and advised the Northridge Church to sponsor the mission here at New Carlisle. Formal sponsorship came September 11, 1955. The first steps began when services were held on Sunday afternoons at the Odd Fellows Hall, 123 1/2 South Main Street. A tent revival was scheduled to begin October 9, 1955 on a vacant lot near Smith Park. Before the end of the revival the weather turned cold, so the remaining services were held in various homes. Many services were held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Crumpler. The first Sunday School was held at the Coleman Auto Wash on Smith Street with 11 in attendance. The services of the mission were transferred to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Mattingly at 120 West Jefferson Street. The Mattinglys were the first to join the mission by letter on September 25, 1955. The Sunday School remained at this location for about three months.
A special Wednesday night prayer meeting was held to pray that new quarters could be found for the mission. The next day the second floor of a building at 101 1/2 West Jefferson was located. This location at one time had been used as a beer joint, but was now loaded with junk and debris. The congregation worked over three hours each night for a month getting the place cleaned. Three truck loads of trash were hauled away. Twenty-two gallons of paint were required to freshen up the new meeting place. The mission then purchased 117 seats from the Liberty Baptist Church of Norwood, Ohio at a cost of $100.00. The pulpit lectern was constructed from scrap lumber left in the building. Attendance continued to increase and weekly offerings amounted to about $100.00. Of this amount, pastor "Freddie Hill" received $10.00 per week. Brother Hill supplemented his income by working as a "carry-out" at Johnson's grocery. The first business meeting of the mission was held December 7, 1955. At this meeting it was agreed that 10 percent of all offerings should go to mission work through the Cooperative Program and 30 percent be reserved for a building fund. By January 1956, the mission membership had grown to 30. The first member by profession of faith in Christ was an eleven-year-old boy (Freddie Porter) on January 15, 1956. The Sunday School continued to grow and attendance numbered 69. The mission was organized into a church May 13, 1956 with 46 charter members. The church was named New Carlisle Baptist Church. On the day the church was constituted, Rev. Ray Roberts, State Executive Secretary, delivered the charge and sermon. Incorporation of the church came September 5, 1956. Rev. Fred Hill served as pastor until September 10, 1956. After his resignation, Rev. Bruce Dorrough and others supplied the pulpit. On February 13, 1957 Rev. Benjamin Hubbard was called as Pastor. In a business meeting December 12, 1956, the church agreed to purchase 4.22 acres of land one mile west of town on Route 571. Cost of this land was $5,275.00. The church at this time had a total of $1,282.58 in the building fund.
On November 12, 1958 an application to secure a $20,000.00 loan was approved by the church. The application was later raised to $25,000.00 and the loan was granted from the Home Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. Plans for the proposed building were presented to the church in January 1959. The cost of the building was $33,000.00 and was constructed by the Wenrick Construction Co. The building measured 32 feet by 100 feet with full basement. At this time the average Sunday School attendance was 104 and weekly offerings averaging $157.47. Occupancy of the new building came in July 1960.
Pastor Benjamin Hubbard resigned in August 1963. The following October the church called Rev. John Stott to become their pastor. Brother Stott moved onto the church field December 1, 1963. By December 1965 the church felt the need to expand. More space was needed for the Sunday School and worship services. Average attendance at this time was 185 with weekly offerings averaging $453.51.
A building committee was selected and architectural plans secured. Arrangements were made with Mr.. C.D. Harmon, a builder from Miamisburg, Ohio, to complete the second edition of our building program. A sanctuary to seat 350, 10 classrooms, a baptistry and a larger kitchen were included in this addition. The building was completed and released on July 12, 1966 with dedication service held September 25, 1966. The Sunday School enrollment had reached a high of 345 by the end of 1966. The church helped to organize and sponsor a mission at Troy, Ohio in August 1966. In November 1967, Rev. John Stott resigned as pastor and Rev. Lawrence Meredith was called as interim pastor. He served from November 16, 1967 until Brother Robert A. Wiley was called as pastor March 1, 1968. Brother Wiley continued until October 9, 1971. Brother John Sester served the church as interim pastor from December 1971 until February 1972. Rev. James I. Stewart began his pastorate on March 5, 1972. A Bus Ministry was started. During this time the church suffered a heart breaking split in its membership. Rev. Stewart remained as pastor until March 16, 1975. Brother Clyde Balyo was then called as interim pastor in April 1975 and he served until November 1975. Brother Hershel Luttrell served the church as pastor from December 1975 to February 14, 1979. In January 1979 the church agreed to pave their parking lot. Hamiel's Blacktop Paving Inc. completed the job in July 1980 at a cost of $10,200.00. Brother John Sester was again called and served as interim pastor from March 21, 1979 to November 1979. Then in December 1979, Brother Rick Shoemaker became the church's pastor. Brother Rick continues to serve First Baptist Church of New Carlisle with great love and dedication. During the first seven years of Brother Rick's ministry, Gary Mullins served as worship leader. Much emphasis was given to developing a strong ministry to youth. With that in mind, the Jeff Chesnut Scholarship was established and has helped graduating seniors every year since 1980. Puppet, drama, and youth orchestra ministries were sustained. Bus ministry was reestablished. The choir was key to inspirational worship services and performed the Easter musical "No Other Way" co-authored by Brother Gary and Brother Rick. Brother Terry McGraner was called as part time associate pastor and Jeff Christmas became worship leader in the late 1980's. Following Jeff's resignation, Terry assumed the worship leader role for a couple of years.
In the early 90's seeking to fill the need for a youth pastor, the church called Stephen Oliver. Following a brief ministry, Stephen was succeeded by Steve Stiglich, who stayed for about a year and a half. In 1994, Doug Grote began a full time role as Associate Pastor. The need for Doug's ministry coincided with the building of the new Family Life Center. This useful 9,000 square foot facility houses the Wee Care Child Care, Team Kid Summer Camp, Latch Key, Pre-school Sunday School, Youth Sunday School, and recreation programs like basketball, volleyball, pingpong, skating, aerobics, etc. The Faith Fellowship Center was built following years of "growth-plateau-decline" cycles. The Together We Build program raised nearly $200,000 and the remaining $400,000 plus was borrowed from the Home Mission Board. The church has completed a Debt Elimination plan called Debt Free by 2003. This saved the church a large amount of money in interest and the debt was paid off ten years ahead of schedule. Jeff Christmas returned to become Associate Pastor of the church in 1998. His primary work is with the youth of the church. He is known for his musical and dramatic gifts. His ministry continues to be a source of creativity and blessing. In recent years, worship services have been enhanced with addition of a Praise Team as well as numerous song leaders and outstanding instrumentalists. A Grand Piano, given in memory of Jud and Frank Lawler, now fills the sanctuary with beautiful music in the praise of the Lord. The church has expanded to 2 Sunday morning worship services. A Classic Worship service at 9:00am and a Contemporary Worship service called "Haven" at 11:30am. The church also completed a remodel of the worship center, adding all new sound equipment and multimedia projectors.
The First Baptist Church of New Carlisle has been an active part of the Greater Dayton Association of Baptists, the State Convention of Baptist in Ohio, and the Southern Baptist Convention. Mission giving to the Co-operative Program and to the Ray Roberts, Lottie Moon, and Annie Armstrong special offerings has always been a priority. The church has provided leadership to Associational and State work in many ways. Pastor Shoemaker has served on Seminary Extension, Evangelism, and Student Ministry committees, as Moderator, and as Youth Director for the Association. The staff has been involved on the state level, especially in Youth work such as Youth Evangelism Committee, and as co-chair for the SBC Fall Festival of Marriage programs. In addition, First Baptist Church has helped to sponsor the Harrison Street Baptist Church, in New Madison, Good News Baptist Church in Cincinnati, Miami Valley Community Church near the Dayton Mall, and New Hope Baptist Mission in Springfield.
In October of 2013 our Pastor and friend for 34 years Rick Shoemaker went home to be with the Lord. Our Associate Pastor Jeff Christmas stepped in to handle the duties of Senior Pastor during this difficult time. After a period of grieving and with much prayer, in April of 2014 the church decided to go through a Transitional Pastor process to make ready and focus our church family for the next Pastor that God has planned for FBCNC. In May of 2014, Pastor Tim Binns was selected to help lead FBCNC through the transitional process. Currently FBCNC is in the middle of completing our transitional process and looking forward to continuing our rich history of faithful service to our Lord Jesus Christ and the surrounding community.
After a 2 year Transitional and Pastor search process, on May 22nd, 2016 the church voted to extend a call to Curt Sharbaugh to become FBCNC's new Senior Pastor. Curt accepted the call. He and his family began their service at FBCNC on July 10th, 2016.